July 16, 2010

I have been a makeup lover for a very long time. I enjoy searching for the next best product, coming up with cool colour combination and applying makeup to my face or friends and family. I have been asked by employees when shopping at MAC or Sephora if I wanted to work there quite frequently. My friends and coworkers also always ask if I will ever consider doing freelancing. I always tell them no.

Here's the thing: I LOVE my stressful, competitive and challenging job as a mechanical engineer in the construction industry. I went to school to do engineering and this is what I like to do as a career and see myself getting far in. Makeup for me will always be a hobby. I do not want it to be more than that as my job is already taking over my 40 hours work week, lol! Also, I think it's unlikely that I will ever make the same kind of money as an artist, you know? I would have to be bored with my career (which seems unlikely, I learn something new every day). And even so the only beauty sector I think I'll be interested in is the decision making part, lol! Like I would decide what the next MAC collection will look like, as opposed to working as a MAC makeup artist at the counter. That would be pretty cool :D

I do feel like I'm one of the few who feels that way. Most other makeup lovers I speak to aspire to work as a makeup artist or already are one.

What is your position on this? If you're not already a paid makeup artist, would you like to become one? If you are an artist, do you think this is what you will do for a long time to come? I'd like to hear all your opinions :)

2 Responses to "Discussion - Do you want to be a paid makeup artist?"

  1. Unknown Says:

    I think exactly like u do!

    Difference is I did the freelance thing just for a short while and decided it wasn't for me.

    I like being a female engineer and I find it both challenging and rewarding.

    I love my makeup but would rather be an engineer. And if I ever choose the beauty industry it would be on the design end.

  2. Shadowy Lady Says:

    Tina - I love being an engineer too, I don't know if I could find a more rewarding career. I also love makeup as a hobby, I guess our combination is kinda unique and hard to find ;)

Post a Comment